Friday, June 28, 2013

Stewardess - To Dye For

 I had too high of expectations for this Stewardess bag when I started working on it.  Here are the before shots.



I washed it, but the staining was very bad.  It also had lots of very bad scuffing and scratches.  It was a very light chocolate brown color, and even with a couple coats of Leather Therapy, I didn't feel like I'd be able to get this bag to a condition where I'd want to carry it without drastic intervention.

I decided to try my hand at redying my first bag.  I used deglazer to prep the bag, then applied chocolate brown colored dye using a cotton cloth.  I touched up the next day using a q-tip and applied a second light coat to ensure good coverage.  I then waited a couple days and applied two light coats of acrylic resolene mixed 50/50 with water.  I'm hoping it is waterproof.  

Here are the after pictures:




It looks like a brand new bag.  I've worn it a few times, and so far so good.  We will see how it holds up over time.  

2 comments:

  1. Well done. I'm in the middle of a re-dye...what brand of resolene did you use? I purchased some from Fiebing's but I haven't applied it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Fiebing's as well. I used a 50/50 mix with water. If I had it to do over, I think I would use a higher concentration of water. I'm not crazy about the texture the resolene gives it, but my bag still looks great now.

      Delete